Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Squirrely Experience

I’ve heard people say that squirrels are nasty little creatures, nothing more than big rats with long hairy tails. Be that as it may, I think they’re cute and fun to watch.

During our recent trip to the Grand Canyon, we stopped off at Bright Angel Lodge, one of those tourist stops along the rim of the canyon.
Scampering around on the stone wall that kept tourists from venturing too far to the rim were a bunch of squirrels. They’d pop their heads up (like those whack-a-mole games), then duck back down, running to and fro on the other side of the wall before popping up again a few yards away.
There were signs warning us not to feed the squirrels, pointing out that they do carry disease (I have no doubt about that). Still, I could see young people (mostly high-school girls) just itching to feed them. Thank God for their more sensible boyfriends.
I just had to take some pictures:



Cute, no?

No comments: