Sunday, May 29, 2011

Mystery Victim

The wife and I went on a bus tour to the Grand Canyon about a month ago. Remember? Sure you do, I told you all about it.

Anyway, while we were at Bright Angel Lodge, the second stop along the canyon rim, I was so invested in trying not to get too close to the railing that I didn’t pay a lot of attention to other stuff.
That is, until the wife called me over to show me this:
Mystery Victim
What do you think it is? Obviously, it’s been wrapped up by a spider and saved for lunch. The bundle was about four inches long and contained a critter of some sort.

To me, it looked like a mouse; the wife thought it was a bird. My first inclination was that it was a bat, but there was no evidence of a wing. There was, however, a little foot (that light-colored area in the middle) and you could see the toes.
The spider was nowhere to be found; I don't blame it, it must have been exhausted after doing all that work.
I didn’t want to upset the delicate balance of nature and open up the web package, so I just peered closely and tried to figure out what it was. 
I think … mouse.

1 comment:

casch said...

First instinct~a bat.