Thursday, May 5, 2011

Broaching the Subject

Sometimes I just can't believe how stupid people can be. Wait, let me change that ... I should have said "uneducated," or "unaware" to be politically correct.

Just look at this sign I saw at a Las Vegas gift shop. Obviously, the sign-maker meant to say "brooches" instead of "broaches." Also obvious is the supposition that s/he spelled the word based on pronunciation.

"Brooches," as you should know, is pronounced "broaches." But that doesn't mean a brooch is the same thing as a broach. The thing about it is, the store owner is just as guilty as the sign-maker. How can you approve work such as this?

Well, I wasn't going to stand for it. I told the cashier about it ... and you know what? She thought it was spelled correctly. I didn't argue. Stupid is as stupid does.

No comments: