Wednesday, May 1, 2013

OGG (Kahului Airport)

Continuing my Honolulu to San Jose saga ...


We flew over to Maui on a Boeing 717, which is a nice plane, except the overhead luggage bins are a bit too low for me. I bumped my head three times getting in and out of the seat. And mind you, I wasn't rushing or anything (remember, we had a three-hour layover in Maui).

By the way, Kahului Airport's three-letter designation is OGG, which is kind of weird, when you think about it. Well, the reason is simple (and quite humorous, actually): It was named for aviation pioneer Bertram J. Hogg. They might have used the first three letters of his name (HOG), but ... well, y'know. So they used the last three letters.

Which reminds me of Chicago International (ORD). It wasn't until I wandered the concourses during a long layover there many years ago that I learned the ORD stands for "Orchard," because the air field was built on land that once was used as a large orchard. Oh, the things one learns when one's bored and reading everything in sight.

So anyway, OGG has no WiFi (thought you'd like to know that), and even HNL charges to use theirs. Ridiculous! Every other airport I've been to offers free WiFi, which allows for faster downloading on iPads and laptops.

OGG Concourse Shops (Click for Larger Picture)
OGG is a small regional airport with a food-shop concourse that'll take you at most a half hour to walk around and browse. Eat something and that'll kill another half hour or so. The only worthwhile shop I saw there was a Made in Maui shop, and that wasn't very big. However, I think we'll buy something there on our way home.

Yes ... we fly through Maui from San Jose to get back to Honolulu. And yes, it's a three-hour layover. Ridiculous (my byword for my HNL-OGG-SJC-OGG-HNL round trip)!

Tomorrow, I'll tell you about my Boeing 767 flight from Maui to San Jose. Meanwhile, take a short tour of OGG with me:

View from Snack Area

Snack Area

Sammy's Beach Bar & Grill

Hot Dog Stand

No comments: