Thursday, May 16, 2013

Hummmmmmmm ...

One of the little things we enjoyed during our recent trip to visit family in San Jose was the appearance of hummingbirds every day in their back yard.

Those little buggers sure are difficult to photograph. I often had to use the multi-exposure feature on my camera and sacrifice focal acuity in order to take their pictures. Also, I often had to guess where they would be and aim my camera in the general direction, hoping I could find them in the final pic and enlarge their image.

There were three that appeared every day. One was obviously a juvenile as it would sit on a branch and chitter away, calling for its mother. The second was obviously the mother. She was the one hovering around lemon blossoms and roses, dipping for nectar, then zooting over to feed her kid.

A third would appear every now and then, enticing the mother to do some dancing in the air. I'm presuming it was a male hummingbird.

I bought a hummingbird feeder from a little bird shop in Los Gatos and hung it from one of the trees. That was a hit with the hummers, but one has to be there at the right time, camera at the fore, all focused in on the feeder so when they came, the snapping could begin. I had to be fast because they were there for only a few seconds.

I did manage to get a dozen or so fairly good pictures; here are a few:






Aren't they precious?

No comments: