Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Back from Vacation


As you know, I've been missing in action since the 18th, having spent the last week and a half or so celebrating my grandson's birthday in San Jose. Oh, I could have posted from there, but figured it was time for a break.

The trip started off auspiciously enough; I discovered Hawaiian Airlines no longer flies directly from Honolulu to San Jose. Instead, there's a three-hour stop in Kahului, Maui. Which to me is kind of ridiculous.

Not only that, but the flight to Maui left Honolulu at 8 in the morning, which meant we got to the airport around 6 a.m., which meant we had to wake up before 5 a.m. Ridiculous, if you ask me. But, be that as it may, that's what we had to do.

Which also meant that if I wanted to upgrade to first class on the Maui to San Jose leg (which I did), I'd have to check in at 8 a.m. the previous morning to have any chance. Which I did.

There were three seats available, so I immediately tried for two that were together. No such luck, I got a message that the upgrade couldn't be completed. So I called Hawaiian Airlines' web support and talked to an actual person ... a nice lady who said that someone must have been quicker on the keyboard because there were no more empty first-class seats available.

Well, rats.

But y'know, sometimes it pays to play a hunch. Around 11 a.m., I thought I'd just cruise on by the website, check the first-class cabin again, and ... BINGO! Two first-class seats had opened up.

This time, I was a whiz on the keyboard. Yep ... sometimes It pays to play a hunch.

By the way, the Hawaiian Airlines route map above shows a direct flight from Honolulu to San Jose. That's all wrong. It's deceiving, and they need to change that.
 

No comments: