Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Disappearing Fingerprints

Not My Actual Fingerprints,
But You Get the Idea
One day in the not so distant past, I noticed it was harder to turn caps on bottles, to grip jar lids, and to turn newspaper pages without licking my fingers.

What was happening was that my fingerprints were beginning to disappear. Ever curious about why body parts change, I did some research on Google.

It's a common phenomenon amongst older people. As we age, the ridges of the fingerprints become broader and the depths of the furrows become shallower. That's because the skin on our fingers becomes less elastic.

I didn't know that. But now, I do. No wonder my fingertips feel smooth. And here I thought my hands were getting younger.

Not so, huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. I had the same thing happen over the past 6 months. I am a 49 year old male. It is very hard to torn pages, pick things up etc. The only thing I can connect this to, is a Flu vaccine that I received 6 months ago. I had heart palpitations and shortness of breath for 2 months after this shot.

Craig Miyamoto said...

I hope everything is okay with you now, Anon. Compared to that, disappearing fingerprints are so minor, no?

~ Craig