Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Unusual Chinese Restaurant Adventure

We went to a Chinese restaurant while in San Jose – Cathay Jade – and I had a chance to peruse their menu and smile at some of the unusual dishes they offer.
 
The dishes read like poetry and fantasy: Fresh Lily Bulbs, Lemon Mayonnaise, Braised Sea Cucumbers, Goose Webs, Duck Tongues, Pig Intestines, Fish Maws, Steamed Frog Legs.
 
Alaskan King Crab
 
Geoduck Clams

The menu descriptions weren’t the only things that fascinated me; I also wandered over to their aquarium area and checked out some huge seafood just waiting to be selected, prepared, and served to the dining guests.
 
Duck Tongues
Of all the interesting items listed above, the only one I ordered was their Duck Tongues. Not much meat, but the tongues do have a crunchy cartilage down the middle. It tasted like … the flavored soy marinade.

We ordered some more conventional Chinese food, and I’ll write about the dinner in my “A Place for My Taste” restaurant blog sometime in the fairly near future.

No comments: