Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Typo Curse

All my life I’ve had what I call “The Typo Curse.” For some reason, typographical errors always seem to explode off of a page into my face.
It there’s one there, I’ll see it. And I don’t really have to try very hard either. And once I find one, it just spoils the reading experience for me. It’s a curse, I tell ya … a curse!
Anyway, if you’ll excuse my juvenile rant … One jumped out at me the other day when the wife and I were at Nohea Gallery in the Ward Warehouse, looking for a particular item to give as a Christmas present.
Click on picture for an enlarged view
After making our selection, I was at the counter paying for it when I saw a 2011 calendar set sitting there. So I glanced over at it, and this is what I saw –>
Now, I don’t know who was responsible for proof-reading the printed calendars before they hit the presses (and a mighty expensive press run that was, four-color process and all), but whoever it was sure cost the company a lot of money.
Tell me now; would you buy a calendar that started off the New Year (when everything is supposed to have a fresh start) during the month of JanuRary?
I wonder how many people will buy the calendar set without knowing it’s flawed, and if so, I wonder how many will not even notice the typo, or return the calendar for a refund, or simply laugh it off?
Me? Personally, it offends me that the calendar maker didn’t think enough of me – a potential customer – to make sure everything was perfect before going into production. You can be sure I pointed it out to everybody in the store, including the owner.
They were happy anyway. I spent a bunch of bucks and was happy with my purchases.

1 comment:

casch said...

I'm with you Craig, typos jump off the page at me ~ except my own. I have a VERY difficult time seeing my own typos. I wouldn not have returned it for a refund, but it would have bothered me all through Janurary!