Monday, December 27, 2010

Goats 4 Sale

One sees the most intriguing signs tacked up on telephone poles – garage sales, directions to birthday parties, lost doggies and kitties, looking for workers …
Once in a while a different one comes along, like this “Goats 4 Sale” flyer by Aulani’s Ranch that I saw on the way to my son’s home in Aiea (between downtown Honolulu and central Oahu).
Click on picture for larger image
As it turns out, Aulani Kaaihui does have goats for sale. Formerly wild, they have been caught and are now domesticated, as an alternative to being shot by hunters. (I read about it when I did a little research and found her blog, “Waimalu Valley News.”)
I suppose having goats for sale isn’t very unusual. I mean, surely other people must have sold goats before. Just because I’ve never seen goats for sale doesn’t mean people don’t do it. Neither is advertising something for sale on a telephone pole flyer different.
But what caught my eye was the word “Organic.” I’ve never seen animals being referred to as “organic.” So I had to research it.
Turns out that organic sheep and goat farms are a big thing. According to the USDA, there are more than 4,000 certified sheep farms in the U.S. As for organic goats, they have no numbers yet.
An organically raised goat isn’t simply a naturally raised, free-range, or grass-fed goat. The pastures must be certified organic and maintained without pesticides, herbicides, chemical fertilizers, or any restricted materials. Anything you feed the goats must also be certified organic. Even their bedding must be certified organic.
There’s a whole bunch of other criteria that must be met, but if you want to know what they are, you need to Google the information yourself. I’ve just about exhausted my interest in the subject.

2 comments:

R. said...

So didya buy one?? :)

Who is who? said...

They are not certified organic, but they are raised organically. You got it pretty much right on the dot. Did you know goats is the number #1 consumed meat product worldwide? It's a wonder why us locals don't know that?