Friday, September 21, 2012

Watching Looney Tunes

Last night, my son, grandson and I were watching a classic cartoon, "Rabbit Seasoning," the second cartoon (1952) in the "Hunter Trilogy" starring Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck.

We were laughing and laughing, each for different reasons: My son because he remembered them from his younger days, my grandson because he just loved the antics even though the words flew by too fast for him, and me, because I've always loved Bugs, Daffy, Elmer and the gang.

I remember getting up at 7 a.m. on Saturdays when I was in college, just so I could watch the Bugs Bunny Road Runner Hour. And what college kid ever wakes up at 7 a.m. on Saturdays anyway?

This cartoon is the one where Daffy keeps getting shot in the head by hunter Elmer Fudd, causing his bill to reposition all over the place ("Shoot the duck! Shoot the duck!). It of course ends with Daffy spitting out his signature line to Bugs: "You're dethpicable!"

According to director Chuck Jones, Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies weren't created for kids by the boys from the termite terrace, as the young creators called their shaky offices on the Warner Brothers lot. Nope. They were created for adults. Hence the often-risqué and violent themes.

I saw them in theaters when I was a kid, and on a small black and white TV in college. My sons watched them on a color TV, and my grandson is watching them on high-definition DVDs and Blu-Rays on a flat-screen TV.

Oh my, how things change while they stay the same.

No comments: