Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Sweet, Juicy and Crunchy

While meandering in the produce section of Marukai Market one day, I happened upon this display of apples, a variety that I’d never seen or heard of before – Pacific Rose Apples. Have you heard of them?

I love apples, always have. But I don’t eat enough of them. My mom used to call them “nature’s toothbrush,” because after you eat an apple, your teeth feel pretty clean and smooth. That’s because the apple sort of scrubs them as you bite down and chew.
Be that as it may … the reason I don’t eat enough of them is because I’m lazy. And I like to have my apples peeled, cored and chunked up so I can eat them with a fork. See, if I eat them with my fingers, then my fingers get all wet and sweet and I have to wipe them clean before I touch the screen of my iPad while reading a book.
So … it’s hard to read and snack on an unprepped apple at the same time.
But I digress. I was going to say that this Pacific Rose variety is so sweet, juicy and crunchy … the epitome of apple goodness. And they stay fresh for a long time. I bought three, ate one that very same day, ate one a week later, and just finished my last one yesterday, three weeks after I bought them (they have a way of hiding in the refrigerator produce bin, y’know).
The last one was still sweet, juicy and crunchy. Vive les pommes Pacifique Rose!

No comments: