Friday, September 7, 2012

REALLY Wild Wildlife

Natural history museums are right up there amongst my favorite places to visit whenever I’m away from home, and the Las Vegas Natural History Museum is one I’ve been to several times. You know it’s good because it’s associated with the Smithsonian Institution.
 
Located just north of downtown Las Vegas on Las Vegas Boulevard (“The Strip”), it’s one of the easiest places to go to. Less than a mile out of town, you’ll pass Cashman Field (where the Las Vegas 51s minor league baseball team plays) on the right side of the street. Immediately after the field, there it is.
The museum looks quite unassuming from the outside – small, in fact – but it’s got a lot of room inside and a whole lot of quality exhibits. There is an admission, but it’s not that expensive ($10), and seniors and kids get in cheaper($8 and $5 respectively, kids 2 and younger get in free).
The first room on the left is a small traveling exhibit, when I was there recently, I got to see all kinds of nasty teeny wildlife that feast of humans – ticks, fleas, leeches.
There’s a marine life gallery, a gallery of Nevada wildlife, the “Treasures of Egypt” exhibit that includes King Tut stuff, a prehistoric life gallery with dinosaurs that move and roar, and downstairs, a plethora of exhibits about the continent of Africa – the savanna, the rainforests, and early man.
I garan-ball-baran you’ll enjoy it, your kids’ll enjoy it, and that you’ll consider your admission fee well-spent. Personally, I spend at least one to two hours there every time I go.
Check out these pictures I took of the wildlife (prehistoric and today) on display:
Carcharodon Megalodon Jaws

Dimetrodon
 
Parasaurolophus
 
Bighorn Sheep
 
Flicker
 
Suni

No comments: