Sunday, September 16, 2012

Helping a College Student

I helped a college student with his books and room expenses at the Blossom Hill Farmer's Market, Princeton Plaza Mall, in San Jose today.

We got to the farmers market just a wee bit late, about 10 minutes to 1 p.m., at which time the market was going to close. So the wife sped off to get some peaches for our daughter-in-law, and I was assigned to get some Kettle Korn for our grandson.

There was quite a line at the Kettle Korn booth, but this college kid named Ethan Marsh, who is attending the University of California at Davis, was hard at work popping and stirring. My goal was to buy a $5 bag, which was about 15 inches tall, that would take my grandson but 10 minutes to totally consume.

But I noticed everyone was taking out $6 for a $5 bag, and $11 for a $10 bag. Why was that? I double-checked the price to make sure. Anyway, when my turn came, I saw a tip jar there labeled "Tips for College (Room and Books)  =)."

Bless his heart, I put in $2 because I too was once a college student and needed extra funds for such necessities. I feel good, now.

No comments: