Saturday, January 15, 2011

Tiger Sushi Roll


On a recent grocery shopping trip, I happened upon this unusual item in the supermarket’s sushi case – a “Tiger Roll.” I’ve seen sushi like this before, but never in a deli case.
The roll is created with green avocado slices and cooked shrimp, giving it the orange-striped tiger appearance. Inside is an extension of the outside – minced shrimp with avocado in a mayonnaise base.
Included with the roll is some gari (sliced pickled ginger), a little container of wasabi (Japanese horse radish), a slice of lemon, and a small packet of shoyu (soy sauce).
I want to tell you that we enjoyed every little bit of the sushi and ginger. Not because it was delicious (it was), but because it set us back $12.35 plus tax. That worked out to a little under $1.40 per piece.
Well worth it, I thought, but others in the family didn’t think so. Tough.

1 comment:

R. said...

Very pretty! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)