Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The BCS Championship Game

I have to say that last night’s BCS Championship Game between Auburn and Oregon was not what I wanted it to be. The final score (Auburn 22, Oregon 19) had nothing to do with it; I really didn’t care who won the game.
However, based on what I had seen and heard of the #1- and #2 BCS-ranked teams, I had expected a higher-scoring game. But it turned out to be a defensive struggle, which I suppose is fine, but again, I wish there had been more scoring.
Didn’t Oregon disappoint? They were unable to sustain their usual rapid-fire offensive play that early on was tiring out Auburn’s defense. And what about their uniforms, created especially for the BCS championship game? There’s nothing like fielding a team shod in fluorescent tennis ball yellow-green Hi-Liter shoes and socks.
As for Auburn, Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton was not terribly impressive, often over-throwing his passes. The defense had some dirty plays that were not only penalized, they were committed directly in the officials’ lines of sight and caught on camera. Football is a rough game, but kneeing a player when he’s down, or shoving on the facemask when he’s down – well, that’s just plain dirty football.
Oh well, at least it turned exciting during the final couple of minutes.
I wish they would have played that way from the get-go.

No comments: