Friday, January 7, 2011

Only in Hawaii?


Hidden in the parking lot bordered by 11th and 12th Avenues in the Kaimuki (uptown) area of Honolulu is a little gift shop called “Sugarcane.”
I popped into the place yesterday after lunch at a local Mexican restaurant, just to see if they had any monkey figurines for sale. One never knows … I’ve found them in all sorts of stores here and there across the country, and even in Japan.
Ah, but I digress.
There were no monkeys there, but they did have some cute gift items for girls … nothing I could see for guys.
What REALLY interested me and got me to enter the store was this sign:

 

Not a fancy sign, just something tacked up to remind people not to track water or dirt or dust or mud into the store. More like a home, actually. Notice they said “feet” and not “shoes.”
I think it’s one of those “Only in Hawaii” things – here, people wear lots of slippers and/or go around barefoot.

No comments: