Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Koi in Hawaii

One of my sons has an empty koi pond (small one) at the entrance to his new home, and I’m sure he has thoughts of doing something with it once he gets some other things done at the house.
The pond area is pretty small, so I don’t think he’ll be able to emulate the magnificent koi (carp) at the Pagoda Floating Restaurant, but a few of the colorful fish would certainly be a source of joy, I’m sure.
A Koi Swarm at Pagoda Floating Restaurant
As you know, I’m not a fan of the Pagoda Floating Restaurant, but whenever we’re there, I compensate for that by going outside to view the hundreds of colorful koi gathering in bunches whenever kids toss fish food pellets into the water.
Koi are a source of pride to the owners. In addition to the Pagoda koi, one can find nice public displays at Ala Moana Center mall level, and at the International Marketplace in Waikiki.
The first thing one might do is attend a meeting of the Hawaii Goldfish and Carp Association, which has regular meetings near his home. I suppose any tyro koi enthusiast has to be prepared for the amount of work involved, not only to set up the pond, but to maintain it as well.
Me? I’d rather keep a small aquarium. Easier to maintain. And cheaper too … prize koi run upwards of thousands of dollars.

1 comment:

R. said...

I love koi ponds! What a wonderful addition to a backyard.