Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Sonoma-Bodega Adventure 8: Bodega

We took a slightly longer route to Bodega, but it seemed to be the easiest of the three suggested by my iPad map app. After visiting the Benziger Family Winery in Glen Ellen, we continued northwest to Santa Rosa, then hung a long, long left to Bodega.

Now, for those of you who aren’t familiar with Bodega, it’s the town where director Alfred Hitchcock filmed his suspenseful masterpiece, The Birds, based on Daphne DuMaurier’s short story, in 1961. The film was released in 1963 and became an instant hit.

Recently, Turner Classic Movies ran the film in its Alfred Hitchcock retrospective. I happened to be in California visiting the real thing, so I didn’t get to see the airing. I do, however, have the DVD and watch it every now and then.

Rolling into Bodega, on the way to Bodega Bay, I almost missed the Bodega Country Store, which I had read about. It houses a large collection of “Birds” and Hitchcock memorabilia, including photographs, news stories, movie posters, and kitsch that adorn the walls and shelves.

There’s a life-sized statue of Alfred Hitchcock standing outside the store just waiting for tourists and fans like me to stop by and have our picture taken. And, of course, when you stop, you just have to go inside; and when you go inside, you just have to buy something … which we did (tee shirts and cold water because it was hot outside).
I even had the wife snap a picture of me with Hitch, something I’d been planning to do ever since I started planning the trip.

It doesn’t look exactly like the man, but what the heck, this is what I came for, isn’t it? Well, partially, anyway.
The Old Potter School
Within walking distance (but of course we drove) of the store are a number of quaint buildings, a couple of which played roles in the movie – particularly the old Potter Schoolhouse where the children were attacked by a horde of raging, head-pecking ravens. That was one of the highlights I’d been looking forward to seeing.

Bodega Post Office

The Bodega Catholic Church

Bodega Volunteer Fire Station

Bodega Wooden Duck Antique Shop
After snapping these pictures, we jumped back in the car and headed for Bodega Bay … and I’ll tell you about that place next.

No comments: