Thursday, October 3, 2013

Sonoma-Bodega Adventure 2: A Day in Sonoma

It was hot as we rolled into Sonoma, nigh about 90°+, a little more than two hours after jumping on the freeway in Fremont and heading north. Before we got into town, we stopped by the Viansa Winery for a pit stop and a little tour of the grounds. All it took was a right turn. 

I'd decided that we'd play everything by ear; our only constraint that first day was that we couldn't check into our Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn until 4 p.m. Normally, I check in early anyway, but several people on Yelp related how they absolutely weren't allowed to check in until 4 p.m. Obedient person that I am, I decided it would be better safe than sorry.
Sonoma Plaza (Google Image)
We then stopped at historic Sonoma Plaza, which wasn't hard to find at all. When you chug along on California 12, it takes you right to the Plaza. Parking is quite plentiful, although you might have to circle about for a bit. Once we parked, it was wander here, wander there, first the Visitor's Center, then City Hall and its beautiful fountain, then up the street to see Mission San Francisco Solano.
Did I tell you it was hot? I later found out on my iPad that it hit 100° in downtown Sonoma, which is where we were. So we stopped by Ben and Jerry's for a cool mango sorbet smoothie. That almost did the job, but not quite.
As the Sebastiani Winery was just couple of blocks down the street, that's where we ended up. I called my friend and we hooked up and cooled off in the air-conditioned wine tasting room on some nice, big, comfy sofas.
When 4 o'clock rolled around, our friend went home and we checked into the motel until it was time to meet her for dinner. Dinner was at the girl and the fig ("Country food with a French passion"), about two blocks from our motel. What a great dinner we had. If you want to check out their menu, go to thegirlandthefig.com.
And that was our day in Sonoma. Well, not really. I'll tell you more about the Viansa Winery tomorrow, followed by Sonoma Plaza and Sebastiani Winery, and the Best Western in the days ahead. Then it's hit-the-road time as we head off to Bodega and Bodega Bay, land of "The Birds." 

2 comments:

casch said...

So far, it sounds like a lovely day, even if a bit hot!

Craig Miyamoto said...

It was! I think my shoes almost melted; thank God for the invention of cool drinks.

~ Craig