Friday, October 4, 2013

Sonoma-Bodega Adventure 3: Viansa Winery

Just before we entered the City of Sonoma, we took a right turn into the Viansa Winery for our first exposure to a winery in Sonoma Valley, the actual birthplace of winemaking in California. We’d been to Napa Valley before, so this one was kind of special.

Click on Picture for Larger View
Viansa was created in 1989 by the Sebastiani family, who came from Tuscany and opened Sebastiani Winery in 1904. It produces some of the best Italian varietals in the United States, according to its literature.
The winery has its own wine club (as do many of the other wineries in the region), and it plays hosts to special events such as corporate and social events, weddings, engagement parties, even elopements.
Wine Tasting Counter
Now, the wife and I aren’t very much into wine. In fact, she doesn’t partake, and I only have some on occasion. So we skip the wine tastings (I know, I know, there are those out there shaking their heads already). But what we like to do is wander beautiful grounds and poke around in the gift shops.

Plus, the vineyards themselves are quite breathtaking. So it’s like a shop stop in a quaint village during a cruise.
What I in particular like to do is take pictures. I took a couple of dozen at Viansa and will share some of them with you:
 
 
 
 
 
 
Tomorrow I'll tell you a little bit about Sonoma Plaza and the Sebastiani Winery.
 

5 comments:

R. said...

And I thought I was the only one who went to wine country and didn't partake! :)

Craig Miyamoto said...

We orta form a dry wine enthusiasts club!

Anonymous said...

Viansa is no longer owned by Sam and Vicki Sebastiani (Vi an Sa - get it?)
Sebastiani over in Sonoma is no longer owned by the Sebastiani family (Don) either - belongs to the Foley group)
I used to live two blocks east off the square and I really miss it.
Unfortunately we were unable to afford a house there.

casch said...

Beautiful grounds! Beautiful building!

Craig Miyamoto said...

Thanks for the updated info, Anonymous!

It was a beautiful place, Carolyn; you should visit it on the way north next time.

~ Craig