Monday, March 11, 2013

Time to Snoooozzzzzzzz


I bet you didn't know today is the 14th anniversary of Napping Day in the U.S. The special day for us dozy-heads was created in 1999 by a Boston professor to help us (well, you, perhaps) overcome the effects of setting your clocks ahead for Daylight Saving Time.

We lucky ones in Hawaii don't need an excuse to nap, especially when one is retired (like me). The trouble with me is, I can't nap. Oh, once in a while I'll conk out while watching TV in the afternoon, but when it comes to a planned nap with the light turned out in the middle of the day, forget it.

Even when I was working, I tried to plan a half-hour nap after an at-the-desk lunch. I'd close my office door, turn off the lights, and try to doze off. Nada. Nothing. In fact, most of the time, someone would knock on my door and/or sneak in to drop something off.

I'd hear, "Oh sorry, were you napping?" And that was the end of that.

Maybe it'll work today. After all, I just found out it's official.

No comments: