Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Snoozed, Losed

Okay, I know. It’s supposed to be “lost.” But then the phrase wouldn’t rhyme. Not that it matters anyway, but last night was a perfect example of getting somewhere too late.

I’d received an invitation to a preview screening of the new action thriller movie, “Olympus Has Fallen,” which was promoted as a blockbuster movie that opens next week Friday, March 22. Of course, I replied to the invitation and was issued two complimentary passes.
The problem with these things is they overbook, and if you get to the theater too late, you can’t be accommodated.
That’s what happened to the wife and me last night. We had planned to be in line by 6 p.m. for the 7:30 showing, but got there around 6:15 or so after parking our car. Too late. We were pretty close to the end of the line.
About 45 minutes before the movie was to start, a host came out and said the theater only held 184 people, and that he’d counted the number of people in line. He reached 180 about 15 people in front of us, which meant there was no way we were going to get into the theater. I would estimate there were another 15 or so behind us.
So the wife and I did the only logical thing. We got out of line and bought tickets to another movie – Life of Pi. And that was okay, it was a chance to see a movie together, something we hadn’t done in quite some time. Plus, it would be the first movie I’d see since Hunger Games … you know the one where I tripped over my own foot and banged up my knees last year? Yeah, that one.
Memo to self: "Craig, if you get another one of those invites and complimentary passes, arrive at least two and a half hours before the scheduled start of the movie."

No comments: