Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Salt Lake City Airport Art Pieces

It’s strange, but one of the air routes to Las Vegas goes through Salt Lake City Airport (SLC) in Utah. I speak from experience because that’s the way I went to Sin City a few times in the past. It's one of Delta Airlines' flights that leaves Hawaii at a convenient time for me.

One thing good about it is that I usually have time to wander through the concourses as I walk to find the connecting gate. These days, whenever I know I’m connecting through a large airport, I go online to see if there’s any art to be found.
That’s the way I found paintings in Memphis, posters in New Orleans, sculptures in Denver, retro museum items in San Francisco, light shows in Chicago, and even an air museum in Las Vegas. I'm sure I saw a bunch of stuff in other airports, but I can’t remember any more offhand.
At SLC, I found a wall of paintings, and in one of the concourses, I found these sculptures by local artists:
'Enjoying Our Walk' by Colleen Madamombe
'Where is Mom?' by Royal Katiyo
(l) 'Waiting' by Joe Mutasa, (r) 'Fond Embrace' by Ngoni Mrewa, (c) 'Captivating' by Agnes Nyanhoro
See? You just have to keep your eyes open and gather in the world around you. That is, if you’re not running to make your connection.

No comments: