Friday, June 10, 2011

Misteaks

My pencil was sharpened and I was all set to write about our Gov. Neil Abercrombie's stupid remarks, re the National Football League and its annual Pro Bowl game that's been held here in Honolulu for oh so many years.

He thinks the contracted $4-million payment to the league for the rights to host the all-star game is "egregious." Why should we pay a $9-billion corporation that kind of money anyway, he surmised. Never mind that the Pro Bowl brings in more than $28 million in visitor spending whenever the game rolls around.

Ah, but I digress. I WAS going to write about that, but something else caught my attention in this morning's Honolulu Star-Advertiser.

Proof-reading failures. Misspellings. To use our erstwhile governor's word, "egregious" errors.


This first article has a misspelling. I don't believe there's such a thing as a rearview "miror." The editor must have forgotten to roll his Rs when he pronounced the word.

Then, the first sentence is grammatically incorrect. It begins with "Who." It shouldn't begin with "Who." And it ends with "to." It shouldn't end with "to."

In fact, the sentence should read, "To whom is Robert's rabbit mascot waving?"

Plus, the sentence ends with a closing quotation mark ... but there is NO opening quotation mark.


This second one gives one a reason to pause and reflect. What in the world is a "relection"? I couldn't find the word in any online dictionary. Obviously the caption writer meant to say "reflection."

But you know what? I wouldn't have mentioned the reflection in the head of her driver at all, because you can't see the reflection, much less a relection.

And to think they pay people to proofread the stories before they run. Shame, shame.

1 comment:

casch said...

Typo's will jump off the page at me also ~ EXCEPT ~ my own!