Saturday, August 14, 2010

A Triple Grumpy Day

You know how some days you just feel grumpy from the moment you wake up? That’s today. It’s a triple grumpy day for me.
First: I’m sick and tired of people who are making a hero of Steven Slater. You know, the flight attendant who lost his cool, swore over the intercom on a Jet Blue flight, grabbed two beers, deployed the emergency slide and beat a hasty retreat?
Yeah. That kook. Maybe he deserved to flip his lid that way, but that doesn’t make him a hero. Maybe what he did touched an “I’m mad as hell and I’m not taking it anymore” nerve inside some of us.
So what? He’s a terrible employee. Well, ex-employee. And you know what? He has the chutzpah to want his job back.
Second: President Obama just came out in support of the planned mosque near Ground Zero. He says it’s the American way, and that constitutionally, they have a right to do that. Freedom of religion and all that.
Fine. They have a right to build there. Nothing illegal about that.
But … just because you have the right to do something, doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do. Religious freedom does not mean clambering all over injured parties’ feelings. It’s just plain insensitive.
Third: I had plans for today, to finally get off by myself and do something. But now I can’t because of “duties.”
The wife … she keeps me grounded. Just this morning, she said … “You’re grounded.”
Does that add up to three? Yep. I am so looking forward to my week away from it all later this mornth.

No comments: