Monday, August 9, 2010

House Slippers

I’ve been looking for a good pair of leather cross-strap, open-toed house slippers for a long time now, ever since my last pair of Palama slippers worn down to a frazzle and broke apart.
You just can’t find them anymore. For the past few years, I’ve been using a pair I found at Sears on sale for $25, but now it’s almost time to replace them.
I found an unusual Japanese-made pair the other day at Marukai, and boy were they cheap. They had man-made fabric uppers, were open-toed, were light as a feather, looked pretty good, and were a penny less than $4.
Hallelujah, I thought. At last. They’re called “House Massage Slippers” and have lots and lots of tiny nubs that supposedly massage the soles of your feet as you walk.
Massage? More like “poke.” They just dug into the soles of my feet and hurt like the dickens every time I took a step. Maybe I just need to get used to them, I thought. That was two days ago.
I’ve decided to toss them. The kicker was when I took a shower last night and I stood in hot water. The bottom of my feet felt as though they were burning! Guess they just couldn’t handle the slipper nubbies.
So … the search continues.

1 comment:

R. said...

Sounds more like exfoliating than massaging. Ouch! And they look like such a good deal for $4, too.