Thursday, August 12, 2010

Flip or Flop?

While walking at Magic Island recently (all by my lonesome because the wife wasn’t able to join me that day), I came across an abandoned rubber slipper, just sitting there all by its lonesomeness.

It seemed a bit worn (notice the softly-abraded edges) but still usable, and I couldn’t help wondering why this particular slipper had been left behind. Surely whoever wore it must have missed it. I mean, how can you NOT miss your right slipper, y’know?

And then my mind went flying out in left field.

Since we call slippers “flip-flops,” would the right side be the “flop”? And, if the person who lost it were left-handed (and consequently, left-footed), would it then be the “flip”?

Hmmm. After careful consideration, and taking into account the color of the flip-flop, I concluded that I sincerely hope it wasn’t a “flip.”

Because then it would be a “pink flip” … and only those who’ve been laid off from work before will appreciate the significance of that.

I gotta stop thinking so much.

1 comment:

R. said...

Haw! Your brain amazes me. :)