Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Pithy Tee-Shirts

The people who write tee-shirt copy are just so clever. They have a knack of summing up our innermost thoughts or the state of the world quite succinctly, using just a few words.

Take for example the tee-shirt I saw at the “Made in Hawaii” Festival last weekend:

Not only is it good advertising (anyone who’s been to a Big Dogs store knows that canine), it makes a statement on the economy AND on marriage. Don’t you just love the sentiment?

Seeing that shirt reminded me of another one I saw on a guy who was walking around the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center last week when I went on my monkey safari. His shirt said: Jus’ Fish. No Fight. I agree. Forget what’s bothering you and just go fishing, which, as true fishermen know, isn’t so much about catching fish, as it is … just going fishing.

And then, there’s the one I saw on a man waiting for a blood test at Diagnostic Laboratories two weeks ago when I had to drive the bunch of us for our quarterly blood-letting. His tee-shirt read: You’re Prettier When Your Mouth Is Closed. I called the wife’s attention to this one. The scratches are healing quite nicely, thank you.

Getting back to my monkey safari and my wanders around the International Market Place, I came across quite a few gift shops with tee-shirts galore. Here are a couple of my favorites:

· Don’t Steal. The Government Hates Competition

· If I Agree With You, We’d Both Be Wrong

· I Don’t Have A.D.D. It’s Just That … Oh Look! A Squirrel!

Finally, back at the “Made in Hawaii” Festival, I saw THIS one hanging on a rack, just begging to be taken home and worn:

Tee-shirts are like bumper stickers … they don’t take up much space and they can make you laugh when you least expect to.

1 comment:

R. said...

Haw! I love the ADD one. :)

I have a shirt that says: "Hey! Let's go do fun stuff!". I put it on, find the husband, and point. It's worked so far!