Monday, August 2, 2010

Buddha’s Hand

One of the strange collectibles I came across at the recent Hawaii All-Collectors Show was this ivory carving that the booth owner called a “Buddha’s Hand.”

Having never heard of a Buddha’s Hand, I asked him for some information.

He told me that the carving is of a “Buddha’s hand citron,” also known as a “fingered citron,” then showed me how this antique opened to reveal additional carving inside. The nice man didn’t know how old the carving was, unfortunately.

Curious about the fruit itself, I looked it up when I got home. The fruit (Citrus medica var. sarodactylis) looks just like the carving, except that it’s a deep yellow (almost golden) color.

If a fruit has its “fingers” in a closed position (as in the carving), it is considered more desirable, as it then symbolizes the act of prayer.

Finally, I’ve learned that the fruit originated in Northeastern India, or perhaps China itself.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wonder how it tastes?

R. said...

Very cool! I'm curious how it tastes, too.

Beverly said...

I'm not so sure I want to taste it. BUT, you guys can tell me. :)

Craig Miyamoto said...

From what I've read, it apparently has a lemony taste. If I ever see one for sale, I'm going to buy it and try it.