Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Is It a Woman Thing?

I was having breakfast at Eagle Cafe this morning after dropping off some prescriptions at Costco, when I heard a woman in the booth next to mine talking to the waitress:

Waitress: Good morning, are you ready to order?
Lady: Yes, I think I'll have the waffle. I try to have a waffle at least once a week.
Waitress: Do you want whipped cream and strawberries?
Lady: I have diabetes, you know, and shouldn't ... really.
Waitress: Just plain then?
Lady: I think I'll have the whipped cream. I don't like strawberries, the seeds stick in my false teeth. I'm 70 and didn't sleep too good last night.
Waitress: Coffee?
Lady: No, the doctor said I shouldn't have caffeine. But I love coffee.
Waitress: Decaf then?
Lady: No, I don't like decaf. My blood pressure is pretty high but the doctor gave my Toprol so it should be okay. I'll have regular coffee.
Waitress: White or whole wheat toast?
Lady: Whole wheat. The doctor said I need more fiber.

There's more, but I think you get the idea.

Why is it that some people (and I've noticed it's mostly women) feel a need to explain every decision they make? Especially to a stranger in public where everybody around them can hear what they're saying?

I now know the lady has high-blood pressure, is 70 years old, she doesn't like strawberries, she didn't sleep well at night, and has waffles at least once a week. She wears false teeth, loves coffee and her doctor has prescribed Toprol.

And, she apparently doesn't get enough fiber in her diet.

It's gotta be a woman thing. They must learn this from their mothers. No?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are sooooo making that conversation up! Did she really say that about her dentures?

And is it "woman" thing or is it an "age" thing. I think people get more chatty as they get older.

Craig Miyamoto said...

It's not 100% word-for-word, but it's pretty darned accurate. I wish I'd had a tape recorder along with me. I was shaking my head and even forgot to eat at one point.

Could be an age thing -- although I haven't heard many older men talk like that. Then again, maybe I pay more attention to women than men?

casch said...

I believe it's mostly an age thing~and men do it too. Women are just (usually) chattier than men and "older" folks tend to ramble on about lots of things. Of course I never ramble on myself. I am succinct and just say whatever is necessary without rambling on about it and besides I think you pay more attention to women, ever older women, of course I probably pay more attention to men, but I digress.

Montee said...

I have heard both men and women talk like this. Maybe she just needed someone to talk to. I would have been shaking my head too.

I leave for Mississippi on Sunday. The summer will fly by as usual. I will be posting pictures from the ballpark while I'm there, so look for those.

Craig Miyamoto said...

Carolyn, you just cracked me up here. LOL.

Montee, have a wonderful summer now, y'heah?