Friday, May 22, 2009

Doing My Part

Let’s see now. Hormel reports profits are up, the U.S. Humane Society will honor turtles tomorrow, and Monday is Memorial Day.

I’ve done my part in the past. I wonder if I need to do more.

HORMEL: Profits for the 2009 fiscal second quarter are up 4% from last year. Yep, I’ve done my part all right, by eating a lot of Spam. I had a couple of slices this morning for breakfast, as a matter of fact.

TURTLES: Saturday, May 23, is World Turtle Day, according to the Humane Society of the United States. Yep, I’ve done my part in the past, eating turtle soup in a number of fine restaurants (mostly in New Orleans).

MEMORIAL DAY: It used to be on May 30, but they’ve changed it to the last Monday in May. Yep, I’ve bought Memorial Day poppies every year from the Veterans of Foreign Wars. Do they still do that? (I wish they'd change it back to May 30.)

Do I need to do more? Maybe on Monday I should have turtle soup and Spam for dinner while thinking about those who’ve died in wars? That sounds reasonably reasonable to me.

1 comment:

Montee said...

I wish they would change it back to the 30th also, whomever "they" are. It's silly that schools are closed tomorrow, the kids go back for 4 days and then their last day of school is friday.