Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hallmark Left Me Hanging!

Earlier this week, I DVR-ed “Blackbeard” (2006) on the Hallmark Channel, expecting a well-done pirate adventure story that I could watch at my leisure.

Last night, I watched it. As expected, it was a quality production worthy of the Hallmark cachet, a great story interwoven with high-quality-production scenes. The acting was good, and the budget obviously was quite considerable.

The cast is a worthy one, with Angus Macfadyen as Blackbeard. He was Robert the Bruce in the Mel Gibson epic “Braveheart.” Rachel Ward is cast as a pipe-smoking tavern owner, and Richard Chamberlain as the nefarious governor of New Providence in the West Indies. Stacy Keach plays Capt. James Hornigold, who was supplanted by Blackbeard as the pirate ship’s captain.

The movie was rolling along, and then in the last 10 minutes or so, I began wondering how they were going to tie everything up neatly. But the movie continued at its non-frantic pace until the protagonist, Royal Navy Lt. Robert Maynard (Mark Umbers), posing as a pirate, was marooned on an island.

And then, the movie ended. WHAT??? Nobody told me this was a multi-parter! Not the TV schedule, not even the Hallmark Channel’s website, which I checked this morning.

I did find the film on Amazon.com, and discovered that the movie is in two parts. The bad thing is that I can’t find a listing for the continuation on Hallmark anywhere in the near future. So now, I’m left hanging with a decision to make.

Option 1: Wait for Part 2 to run somewhere.
Option 2: Purchase the movie from Amazon.com for $7 or so.
Option 3: Forget the whole thing.

Decisions, decisions.

No comments: