Friday, November 29, 2013

Damaris Phillips

I didn't watch Season 9 of Food Network Star; well, maybe I saw a couple of episodes, but I didn't watch it religiously. One thing though, I knew Kentucky chef and culinary teacher Damaris Phillips was going to win.

And y'know what? I was right. Every week, although I didn't watch the show, I checked to see who was still in the running. One by one they were eliminated, until the last episode, when Damaris picked up the crown and won her own Food Network show.

I've been watching her show, Southern at Heart, since its inception a few weeks ago. It runs at 5:30 in the freaking morning on Sundays, which means I have never (and never will) wake up in time to see it when it runs. Thank Heaven for DVR. I record it and watch it at a more reasonable hour, which is a good thing, because now I can rewind to view a segment over again, and pause it to drink in her good looks.

Damaris has such a comfortable way about her. Her mannerisms and homey dialogue make not only her guests (guys learning to cook for their love) comfortable, but the audience as well. There is absolutely nothing fake about this lady.

Plus, the dishes she prepares are so down-to-earth and easy to make. At least it seems so, and a lot of that is because of her wonderful personality.

She only has six episodes this season, and that makes only one more Sunday that I can wake up to this great lady.

Can't wait until she does more.

You can connect with Damaris Phillips on Twitter (@ChefDPhillips) and on Facebook.

No comments: