Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Really Junk Stuff

I’ve seen celebrity cooks on television make Kale chips a few time, namely Anne Burrell and Giada DeLaurentis, and they made it look so good. A perfect, tasty crisp-able to munch on while reading on my iPad.

Okay, so I spot this package of Open Nature Zesty Kale Chips at the supermarket. Hey! Just what I need, I thought. It’s 100% natural, no artificial flavors of colors, and no preservatives. Only kale, cashews, sunflower seeds, red bell pepper powder, carrot powder, apple cider vinegar, onion powder, lemon juice concentrate, sea sale and spices.
Of course, I bought a bag. It wasn’t cheap – $4.98 a bag. But worth it just to try, right?
Oh lawdie, it was so bad. Looked like hell too. Check this out:
They should have left out the apple cider vinegar and lemon juice concentrate. The acidic flavor was the killer. Not that leaving it out would have helped.
I’m sure there are some who would like this … but not me. Not me. Ewwww, I dumped it all.

2 comments:

sandy pavia said...

just make your own! super-easy:
wash kale leaves and tear into approx 2-3" pieces.
spin in salad spinner to remove excess water.
toss in large bowl with a little olive oil and very little salt. (i make powdered 'alaea salt in the food processor, and it works perfect; just need a pinch!)
place in single layer on foil-lined cookie sheet.
preheat oven to 350 degrees.
bake for approx 7-10 minutes or until nicely crisp.
try it, you'll like it!
no need all that other excess stuff!
oh, and buy kale at the farmer's markets -- usually much cheaper than the super markets!

Craig Miyamoto said...

Thanks, Sandy, sounds good. I have a better idea: How 'bout you make some and bring it to my house? LOL.

~ Craig