Sunday, August 5, 2012

Huge Toll Bill

One thing I’m glad of about Hawaii: We don’t have toll roads (yet). So I don’t have to worry about racking up a huge toll bill.

I have to admit that a couple of times in Southern California, I’ve zooted past the automatic toll booth, setting off the alarm, because I didn’t have an adequate supply of quarters. Why the booths don’t have bill changers is beyond me.
But at least I was driving a rental, and I figure if the rental company gets hit with a bill, then they know where to find and re-bill me. That’s happened twice, as I drove to John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana from Dana Point.
What prompted this confession was a story I read earlier this week about a Dallas woman who consistently scoffed at paying her tolls. The North Texas Toll Authority didn’t take kindly to that, and is trying to shame her into paying her $179,596.43 arrears (they identified her by photos taken of her license plates at the toll booths) for the more than 8,000 times she failed to pay the toll fees.
Well … good luck in collecting. Since they don’t have policing powers, they can’t arrest her. So they’re trying to shame Amber Young by releasing her name to the news media.
But you know the worst part? She’s only one of the delinquents. There are at least 22 more drivers who owe more than $100,000 apiece in tolls and penalties.
I kid you not! And you thought Hawaii drivers were bad?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, you'd think a time or two she would have had the proper change.:)
casch