Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Going Red with Rental

Check out my rental car from Hertz. It’s a red Volkswagen Golf. Quite a surprise, actually … when Hertz sent me an email telling me the stall the car was in, and the color, and the make, I have to say I had never heard of a Golf.

All I could picture was a golf cart. Me, driving around Las Vegas in a gold cart. Hey, maybe that wouldn’t be so bad after all. But nah … it’s too hot this week for that.

Turns out the Golf is quite a neat car. The test of a rental car with me is, would I buy one and drive it around town? The answer is usually “maybe.” But with the Golf, I’d answer “yes.” It’s very roomy inside for a small car, the only problem I had was getting in. I’m a kind of big guy whose gut gets in the way when I try to bend at the waist, so the top of my head was rubbing the top of the doorway, messing up my baseball cap.

Plus, I like red rental cars. It sure makes it easier to find your car in a parking lot, and as soon as a hotel valet drives it up for you, you know it’s yours. C’mon, admit it. How many times have you stood there while the valet announced your number, oblivious to everything because you couldn’t remember what kind and color car you rented? With a red car … no problem.

And hey, other drivers can see you on the freeway. And that’s no small safety issue.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sticking to red colored cars only when renting is a good tip. If you have been renting cars most of the time, this is quite an advise to avoid confusion. But trying other colors sometimes wouldn't hurt. If you think that you have had enough of renting a car, it is time to consider buying a car, just to be practical and all. Having something to call your own sounds a great investment.

Arlyne Nelms @Spartan Toyota