Thursday, August 30, 2012

Eww! What’s Eating You?


Every now and then, I like to revisit the Las Vegas Museum of Natural History. It’s easy to find, just drive north on Las Vegas Boulevard, pass through downtown, and go about a mile more. On the right will be Cashman Field, where the Las Vegas 51s minor league baseball team plays, and right after that is the museum. 
The featured displays change every now and then. The last time I checked it out, they had a small dinosaur exhibit that supplemented its much larger animated dino room. You can always tell right away what the new exhibits are; they have a large poster in front that clues you in. 
This time, they were showing a special exhibit about insects that feed on us. Literally. While we’re totally unaware, like when we’re sleeping. Y’know, bed bugs, lice, leeches … things like that. You have to step into a dark room where most of the exhibits are either video or posters, with some interactive stuff. 
The host is the comedian Carrot Top, who by now is a Las Vegas institution. The last time I went to a Las Vegas 51s baseball game, they gave me a Carrot Top bobble head doll dressed in the 51s’ uniform. I still have that stupid thing, by the way.
Because the room is so dark, it made it difficult to take pictures. With a flash, things didn’t look good. And without a flash, things REALLY didn’t look good. So I had to satisfy myself with some slow-shutter speed snaps.

Oh well, it was nicely educational and I’m sure little kids will enjoy it. After all, don’t they like gross stuff and sour candy?

No comments: