Friday, August 10, 2012

Hawaii’s Primary Election Day

It’s tomorrow, Saturday, Aug. 11, a little more than a month earlier than it used to be. Changes in the election laws dictated that Hawaii’s primary elections be moved to August. Which isn’t such a big deal for me, but I know political strategists had a whole new ball field to consider.

Not only is the field-reducing election earlier, the pols have to give more consideration to running their advertising early because of the burgeoning number of absentee voters. The wife and I began casting absentee ballots quite a while ago; I like not having to drive to the polls and fighting traffic and long lines of voters on Election Day.
Okay … so it’s time for the political supporter sign count that I do. I admit I’d forgotten about it this year – when you’re retired, these things tend to skip one’s mind – but I had a chance to drive the mile between my house and Manoa Marketplace, this time keeping my scratch pad handy so I could take a tally.
A general observation: The number of signs for this primary is greatly diminished from the number of signs I’ve seen in the past, a bit curious because of some of the hot races.
Anyway, here’s what I saw:
Honolulu Mayor (non-partisan): Former City Manager Kirk Caldwell leads with 3, incumbent Peter Carlisle has 2 , and former Governor Ben Cayetano has 1.
U.S. Senate: U.S. Rep. Mazie Hirono (D) has 3, former U.S. Rep. Ed Case (D) has 2.
U.S. House: Charles Djou (R) has 1, incumbent Colleen Hanabusa (D) is nowhere to be seen.
Hawaii Senate 11th District: Incumbent Brian Taniguchi (D) has 3, incumbent Carol Fukunaga has 1.
Hawaii House 24th District: Challenger Kimberly Case (D) has 2 (I think those were hers that I saw), incumbent Isaac Choy has 0.
Honolulu Prosecutor (non-partisan): Deputy Atty. Gen. Kevin Takata has 1, incumbent Keith Kaneshiro has none. There’s a “Cal Lee Prosecutor” sign up, but I can’t find him listed anywhere as a candidate.
In the past, road signage along Manoa Road has proved prophetic more times than not. We’ll see how it goes tomorrow when the polls for the Hawaii Primary Election close.

No comments: