Tuesday, September 28, 2010

No Cell Phones, Please

Sometimes the magic word “please” doesn’t work … especially when the one you’re talking to arrogantly (or perhaps ignorantly) decides the request isn’t directed at him or her.
Case in point: Last week, when the wife and I were at the Social Security office, I saw several of these signs posted – outside AND inside the waiting room.
It’s a simple request. Please don’t use your cell phones here. Make and take your calls in the hallway.
Were there those who flagrantly ignored the request? Yep. The security guard was obliged to tell at least three people not to use their phones. They harrumphed and went outside.
What the guard didn’t see was at least a half-dozen others surreptitiously using their mobile phones during the wife’s and my 45-minute wait. It reminded me of the time I was in a hospital waiting room and families were bringing in containers of take-out food, totally ignoring the signs on the wall telling the people there that food was not allowed.
I’m really dismayed and disappointed when I see people openly ignoring signs like this. Are we evolving backward into a country of idiots?

1 comment:

R. said...

That was probably a rhetorical question, but I'll answer it anyway.

Yes, yes we are.

Sigh.