Friday, September 3, 2010

Liberace Museum

It’s been several years (pretty much a couple of decades) since I’ve seen the Liberace Museum in Las Vegas, so I thought I’d mosey on over and take a look at it again.
Since I’m male, I was pretty sure I could find the place without having to look at a map or ask for directions. That was pretty stupid. The first day I looked for it, I went up and down Flamingo Boulevard – miles to the west, then miles back to the east, wondering if my eyesight was going.
My eyesight was just fine, as I discovered when I got back to the room and looked it up on the ‘Net. The blasted place isn’t on Flamingo as I had thought, it’s on Tropicana – 1775 E. Tropicana, in case you’re interested.
I tried again the next day, this time with success, because I was armed with the right information. Hah!
The Liberace Museum has changed a lot since the last time I was there. It originally was in one little building, with a whole bunch of stuff crammed inside. I do remember that the wife and I weren’t very impressed with what we saw.
One still enters at the small building, but they’ve expanded into another building ‘way across the large parking lot. The original building houses the Piano and Car galleries, and the other building houses the Costume and Jewelry collections, plus his Palm Springs bedroom and awards.
Here are some of the photographs I took:
Part of Liberace’s Piano Collection
Liberace’s 1957 English Taxicab
The New Building (Costumes, Jewelry, Awards)
Part of the Costume Collection
Liberace’s Quotation, re Performing with Rings
Liberace, of course, was one of the most flamboyant performers of all time, especially in Las Vegas. You should check out the museum at least once. And if you get lost, here’s a bit of information that could have saved me a lot of time and tire wear if I had it: Their telephone number is (702) 798-5595.

3 comments:

R. said...

The taxi is cool, but I'm intrigued by the car next to it. Is it a pink convertible with sequins? AWESOME! :)

Craig Miyamoto said...

It's his pink 1970 "Volks Royce," a Volkswagen altered to look like a Rolls Royce.

R. said...

Genius! I think Liberace is my hero.