Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Neck and Neck Race

Every election, I count the election signs along the roadway from my street to the Manoa Market Place where my post office, drug store and supermarket are.

Currently, there is a race on to temporarily fill one of the two Hawaii seats in the U.S. House of Representatives, because the incumbent resigned to run for Hawaii governor in November. It’s a winner-take-all election with the candidate having the greatest number of votes claiming the seat.

Registered voters in the First Congressional District (Oahu Island’s most densely populates areas) will vote by mail; ballots must be returned by May 22.

So far this year, it’s pretty much a toss-up between Republican Charles Djou and Democrat Ed Case. The signs indicate they are leaving Democrat Colleen Hanabusa in the dust. It appears to be a two-candidate toss-up because as of yesterday, I counted 5 fence/yard signs for Case, 4 for Djou, and 0 (none, nada) for Hanabusa.

This is totally unscientific, but I’ve found that the sign count along my two-mile (round trip) drive pretty much serves a predictor on who will win an election.

I’m just saying.

No comments: