Monday, April 12, 2010

Hawaii Science Fair V: Grammar Problems

I’m a stickler for good grammar and correct word usage, especially when something is written for class, competition, or public view. So when I went to the Hawaii Science and Engineering Fair last week, certain incorrectly used words and phrases popped out at me.

This was the worst one I saw. My first inclination was to look closely at the exhibit to see if litter (rubbish) was indeed being investigated. It wasn’t. What the student meant to say was “literally.” I’m sure that an adult looked it over before it was brought to school – the parents, probably. In which case, I’m afraid the parents don’t know the difference as well.

The correct word is “farther.” “Further” means “to a greater degree,” referring to time or amount. You use “farther” when referring to length or distance. By the way, this project was a semi-finalist. I guess the judges didn’t know the difference either. This is a common error.

The correct word is “affect.” “Effect” means “result,” or the power to influence a change. “Affect” means to actually influence a change. This is a common error.

A word is missing here, maybe two. Or, more likely, the word “in” is extraneous.

The correct word to use here is “that.” “Which” is non-restrictive, which means the part of the sentence that follows can be eliminated without affecting the meaning. “That” is restrictive. Without the phrase it precedes, the sentence loses its meaning. This is a common error.


“Gasses” is misspelled. The plural form of “gas” is “gases” with one “s.”

You might think I’m being nitpicky. You might be thinking, “Aww c’mon, give them a break, they’re only kids.”

I would disagree with that. They are not just “only kids,” they are competing for a prize. I’ve always believed that in any competition – be it political office, a spelling bee, a science fair, a horse race, a baseball game – you have to do everything in your power to win.

And that includes having someone check your word usage.

It’s not just important, it’s imperative.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Craig, I don't think young people today are getting the same education that we were given in the old school.

R. said...

It almost makes you want to become an English teacher, huh? ;)

Doug Carlson said...

Craig, good for you. The standards are tumblin' down around us, and somebody needs to take a stand. I've done that in my own small way with "Me and Him Are Killing English!" Drop by at my site when you can:
http://killingenglish.blogspot.com/