Thursday, August 22, 2013

Chinatown Marketplace: Seafood

The wife and I stopped by the Chinatown Marketplace on Dillingham again for a couple dozen eggs from Ka Lei Eggs. We like that location because it's interesting to walk around inside the farmer's market there.

In fact, we haven't been to Ka Lei's Kalihi or Kaimuki locations in quite a while. Gotta do something about that, no?

It was nice and cool inside so my wandering was quite comfortable. I took particular note of the seafood laid out so nicely on ice, just waiting to be picked up and packaged for someone's dinner.

I noticed some of the seafood had been frozen, but most looked pretty fresh, caught very recently. All the eyes were clear, and the fish especially did not have any nose-wrinkling fishy smells. If I were in the market to buy fish, I would, but I'm lazy, as you know, and scaling, cleaning and fileting fish just isn't in my culinary repertoire.

But I did have my phone, so I took a bunch of sea creature pictures:

"Uhu" (Parrot fish)
 
Calamari (Squid)
 
Moano (Manybar Goatfish)
The pink fish on the right with the big eyes? It's not a moano.
 
Live Catfish (They were flopping around)
 
Na'ena'a (Orange Spot Wrasse)
 
Frozen Shrimp
 
White Crab


No comments: