Saturday, October 6, 2012

There's Always Next Year


When I placed my wagers in February for the Atlanta Braves to win the National League Championship Series and the World Series, I told the guy at the sports book, "Hope springs eternal."

Yesterday, the spring ran dry as the Braves lost their wildcard elimination game 6-3 to the St. Louis Cardinals. So once again, I won't have as much fun watching the rest of the playoffs and the World Series as I did during the Braves' glory years when they were dominating the division and took home the Commissioner's Trophy.

There's always next year, and I'm sure the spring water will flow again when the Braves take the field next April to start the 2013 season.

And ... many thanks to Chipper Jones, who has been an integral part of my Atlanta Braves experience since his rookie year. After 19 years, yesterday's game was his last as a Brave; he's retiring now.

Thank you, Chipper.

A spot in the Baseball Hall of Fame will be waiting for you in five years.

No comments: