Friday, October 19, 2012

It's Not It's, It's Its


I saw this ad in an inflight magazine on one of my flights to Las Vegas this year. It's an advertisement for Merriman's restaurants, touting the regional cuisine of Peter Merriman, one of the genre's originators.

It's a pretty nice ad, but you know how grammatical errors and incorrect word choices just wave me down and slap me across the face. The only word that caught my attention almost immediately was the word "It's" in the second subhead.

"Discover not just it's beauty but Hawaii's flavor" ... of course, it should be "its." What they're saying is you should "discover not just it is beauty," which absolutely doesn't make sense at all.

I don't know who does Merriman's advertising, but I'm available for proofreading at a very reasonable price.

No comments: