Sunday, October 7, 2012

King Tut’s Tomb (Replica Version)


The Las Vegas Natural History Museum is always fun to visit. It’s not very large and I find it difficult to tire myself out wandering among the exhibits.
When I had the chance to see the “King Tut’s Treasures” exhibition in San Francisco, I passed it up for various reasons, so I had to satisfy myself with the Las Vegas museum’s display of replicas.
It’s actually part of the Treasures of Egypt permanent exhibit, and you’ll have to rely on a little sign to help you find the way there.
The replicas are pretty darned good, presenting several of the tomb’s best-known pieces – King Tut’s sarcophagus, his Golden Throne, war chariots, and his Golden Shrine. The replicas are one of two sets authorized by the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities, so you know they’re accurate representations.
I took a lot of photographs; here are a few to whet your appetite: 
Tutankhamun's Sarcophagus
 
Golden Cobra
 
King Tut's Necklaces
 
King Tut on a Leopard
 
The 9-Year-Old King
Visit the place next time you’re in Las Vegas and stay away from the slot machines for an hour or two. The museum is located north of downtown, past Fremont Street, next to Cashman Field, on Las Vegas Boulevard (“The Strip”).

No comments: