Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Westminster Part II

It’s over. The 135th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show has crowned its most recent winner of the Best in Show award – a Scottish Deerhound named Foxcliffe Hickory Wind (aka “Hickory”).
Hickory is a beautiful dog (check out that hair!) and although I wish we’d had a Uno repeat with a beagle, what can I say. Dog show judging is extremely subjective and the Best in Show judge has infinitely better knowledge of all dog breeds than I do.
To me, dogs are like wine. I like what I like, and that’s that.
Anyway, I was pleased to hear that Hickory’s handler, Angela Lloyd, is a former winner of the Junior Showmanship Award. Just goes to show, if you are passionate about something, you learn all you can, do your very best, and eventually you reach the top.
For the record, here are the winners of the final night’s competition:
  • Sporting: Casablanca’s Thrilling Seduction (Black Cocker Spaniel)
  • Working: Aviators Luck Be A Lady (Portuguese Water Dog)
  • Terrier: Slyfox Sneak’s A Peek (Smooth Terrier)
It was great watching the beautiful doggies strut their stuff. I can’t wait for next year’s show.

Woof!

No comments: