Friday, February 18, 2011

Orange Juice

Orange Display at Whole Foods Market
You know what I haven’t had in a long time? Freshly squeezed orange juice.
We found some at Whole Foods Market the last time we went to their Kahala store, but it wasn’t that good – very sour.
To me, freshly squeezed OJ should taste like a sweet orange. Not heavy, not sour, not bitter … just sweet with some pulp in it. The store-bought, pre-bottled or pre-packaged orange juices just don’t cut it.
I want the good stuff.
When we were in San Jose, we’d drive a bit out of our way to Lunardi’s Market in Los Gatos and pick up a quart of the good stuff. But we’re not in San Jose now and I miss it.
Some of the best OJ I’ve had has been at the Black Bear Diner in Las Vegas (oh, and the Bullhead City, Arizona location as well). They squeeze their juice in the dining room, in full view of their customers. The last time I was there, I sat near the machine and watched the lady go through a case of oranges.
Now THAT’S the way orange juice should be made. You can’t find that in restaurants here in Hawaii.
I think I may have to start squeezing my own.

No comments: