Saturday, February 19, 2011

Aloha Koi Show I

I know what I’m going to be doing today. I’m going to the Waikiki Aquarium to check out the beautiful koi (colorful carp) at the 4th annual Aloha Koi Appreciation Society International Show.
This year, the show is being held today and tomorrow in conjunction with the 5th annual Japan Nishikigoi Expo.
The Japanese have perfected koi raising and breeding to an art form, creating beautiful specimens that sometimes reach values in the thousands of dollars. The origin of Nishikigoi goes back a couple of centuries when the black carp mutated and produced colored offspring. These colorful fish were then selectively bred until they eventually evolved into koi.
It’s always exciting to view the veritable rainbow of koi swimming amongst each other in the same pond.
I can’t wait. I’ll take some pictures and hopefully they’ll be of good quality so I can post them in the blog tomorrow.
4th Annual Aloha Koi Appreciation Society Show
5th Annual Japan Nishikigoi Expo

Waikiki Aquarium
2777 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, HI
9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, February 19
9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday, February 20

Complete Schedule: http://www.alohakoi.org/event.html


No comments: